Search This Blog

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Oatmeal Cookie Sandwiches With Rum-Raisin Filling

Oatmeal Cookie Sandwiches With Rum-Raisin Filling


Hi everybody :)

You may have notice from my past cookies post Chewy Quaker Oatmeal Bars Copy-Cat., Banana Oatmeal Cookies: 4 Ways, and Plate Size Cookies that I'm very passionate about oatmeal cookies, which was the first thing that lead me to this recipe. The second was those 3 words: Rum-Raisin Filling. And as if that wasn't enough, the picture, when I saw the cookie sandwiches I was DONE.

I rush to the kitchen to see did I have all the ingredients. To my dismay, I discovered that I didn't have dark rum or cloves :( BUT I was not deterred, "where there's a will, there's a way" was my motto for today, so here's what I did...

Oatmeal Cookie Sandwiches With Rum-Raisin Filling adapted Classic Southern Desserts: All-Time-Favorite Recipes













Makes 15 Sandwiches

prep: 50 min. * cook: 10 min. per hatch * other: 23 min

1/2 cup butter. softened
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cloves ( I used allspice)
2 cups uncooked regular oats
3/4 cup chopped pecans
Parchment paper

Preheat oven to 375. Beat first 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg and almond extract, beating until blended.


Whisk together flour, baking soda, and next 3 ingredients in a medium bowl; gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed until blended after each addition.

 

Stir in oats and pecans.

















Shape dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on large parchment paper-lined baking sheets. ( I use my medium OXO Good Grips Cookie Scoop to scoop them out, then I rolled them and flatten slightly)


















Bake at 375 for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Let cool on baking sheets 3 minutes. Remove to wire racks, and cool completely (about 20 minutes). Spread about 3 Tbsp. Rum-Raisin Filling onto each of half the cookies; top with remaining cookies.

Rum-Raisin Filling


















1 (3-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
3 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp dark rum* (I used Bacardi Gold Rum and a pinch Allspice)
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
1 (1 lb ) package powdered sugar (4 cups)
1 1/2 cups raisins

Rum-Raisin Filling;:

Makes 2 1/2 cups

Beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add milk and next 3 ingredients, beating until blended. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until smooth.














Stir in raisins. *Omit rum, if desired.












What I Did and/or Think:
I used allspice in place of the cloves and added a pinch of it along with the Bacardi Gold for the dark rum. Although the recipe stated that the rum can be omitted, I didn't want to leave it out, no way, rum-filling it says...so rum-filling it shall be :)

The taste: They were Deliciously Sweet! I LOVE the taste of the almond flavor in the cookies, who knew almond flavor would be GREAT in oatmeal cookies!. The combination of the cookies and filling was like an adult version of oatmeal cream pies, only BETTER! Even though the cookies are delicious on their own, you got to try it with the filling. These cookies are my newest # 1 Oatmeal Cookies. I'm putting them in a special file: The REPEAT HALL of FAME!

B.T.W. These cookies spread out BIG so space them out on cookie sheet. They bake up kind of thin because of the corn syrup, and they are meant to be shared so they would make great gifts.

















ENJOY! Come again...

Linked to: 
Mix it Up Monday @FlourMeWithLove
Marvelous Mess Monday @ Marvelously Messy
This Week's Cravings # 101 @ Mom's Crazy Cooking
Melt In Your Mouth Monday # 85 @ Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms
Recipe Sharing Monday @ Jam Hands 
Sweets for a Saturday # 88 @ Sweet As Sugar Cookies
Strut Your Stuff Saturday Week 64 @ Six Sister's Stuff
Foodie Fridays @ Designs By Gollum
Friday Favorites - Week 135 @ Simply Sweet Home  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers