Search This Blog

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Cheddar Bay-Styled Salmon Croquettes

Cheddar Bay-Styled Salmon Croquettes


Hi everybody :)

I try to eat salmon once a week or least twice a month. I love it fresh, frozen, or canned; for today recipe, I'm using canned salmon. I find it's best to buy the cans in bulk at Sam's Club (you get 4 (14 3/4 oz.) cans for about $6.oo). 

The last time I was there, I  spotted a box of Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit Mix. So I figure, why not try it. I later came home, put it away and forgot about it... until today while trying to come up with what would make a great snack? The answer, croquettes!  But, not just ordinary salmon croquettes... no, no, nooooo... Cheddar Bay-Styled Salmon Croquettes. 

It came to me, just when I reach into the cabinet to get the salmon and remember the biscuit mix. Why not replace the flour in a ordinary croquette recipe with the biscuit mixture and add cheese? Me, being the ever-loving experimentalist  that I am :) had to  give this a try. Here's what I did...     

Cheddar Bay-Styled Salmon Croquettes
1(14 3/4 oz.) can salmon, bones removed; drained & reserved 2 tablespoons liquid
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1/3 - 1/2 cup* Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit Mix  (I found this at Sam's Club)
1/2 teaspoon herb pack (it comes in the box with the mix)
1/3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (I used finely grated Mexican Blend) (it was what I had)
Lemon Pepper & Salt, to taste
2 teaspoons baking powder
Panko Japanese Style Bread Crumbs (for coating)
Oil for frying

Heat about 1 inch of oil in a large, heavy skillet to oil to 350°F. 
Combine salmon, egg, onion, biscuit mixture, cheese, and seasonings in a medium bowl; set aside.
In a small bowl, mix reserved salmon liquid and baking powder. (Mixture will be bubbly, foamy, and white.) Stir into salmon mixture. (Don't over-mix)
Shape into balls (*add more biscuit mix only if needed; you want just enough for it to hold it shape).  Place crumb coating in a shallow pan or zip-lock bag. Roll balls in crumb coating, flatten slightly. Carefully lower croquettes into hot oil. (Do not over crowd).
Fry in batches for 3 -5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain patties on paper towels. Serve with tartar sauce, mustard/ketchup and/or hot sauce, if desired.   
What I Think:
I absolutely LOVE the croquettes; full of flavor: tender flakes of fish embedded in an onions, herbs, and cheese dough wrapped in nice crunchy crumb coating. If you haven't try Panko bread crumbs yet, you must give it a try. I can't wait to make this again, so it will be REPEATED as often as possible. 

(A little side note, I first discovered the bread crumbs from Jane's blog, where I actually won a box, and been loving it every since. Jane has a super great blog, but don't take my word for it, stop by and see for yourself.) 

Need a great snack for a party or entertaining? Try the salmon croquettes... Cheddar Bay-Styled, of course :) 

ENJOY! Come again...
Linked to:
The Mandatory Mooch Tasty Thursday 
Show Case Your Talent  @What's Cooking Love 
Creative Juice Thursday @ Momnivore's Dilemma
Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage 
The Better Baker Weekend Potluck 
Miss Information: I Freakin' Did It Friday  
Katherine Martinelli: Salmon Blog Hop 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Those sound really yummy! I love croquets anyway....
    Thanks for sharing!

    hugs x
    Crystelle
    http://www.crystelleboutique.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Salmon Croquettes look fabulous! Have a great week and thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Followers