Search This Blog

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Wheat Germ Crackers: The 3 S (Salty, Sweet, or Savory)

Wheat Germ Crackers: The 3 S (Salty, Sweet, or Savory)


Hi everybody :)

This is a first for me, in all the years I been baking, I never made crackers before! I don't know what took me so long to start, but now that I did; this wouldn't be the last time. I love baking cookies but it didn't occur to me to bake my own crackers until now. I seen some interesting crackers recipes on Pinterest too and even pinned some of them, so it still hard to believe.

This recipe comes from my collection of cookbooks. I thought it would be a great heart-healthy recipe to share because it contain wheat germ and oatmeal. I may be wrong....but I'm giving it a try anyway. So here we go...  

















Wheat Germ Crackers adapted  Pure & Simple: Beta Sigma Phi















Ingredients
3 cups oatmeal (I used old-fashioned oatmeal)  
1 cup wheat germ (I used toasted wheat germ)
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
Salt to taste

Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix first 5 ingredients in bowl.
Dry Ingredients


















Mix in mixture of oil and water.
Water & Oil














Water Added to Dry Ingredients


















Divide dough into 3 balls.
Dough into 3 Balls


















Roll out each ball on cookie sheet. Cut into cracker size. Sprinkle with salt.
















Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 48 crackers.






















What I Did  and/or Think:
I downsized the recipe to make half. I wanted to have a little fun with the recipe. I divided the dough into 3 balls as stated above. With the first ball; I sprinkled coarse salt on top of the crackers as stated.
Salty

















The second ball I sprinkled the top of the crackers with cinnamon/sugar mixture and
Sweet


















for the third ball the top with Mrs. Dash Onion & Garlic Seasoning and Salad Supreme.
Savory
















I used my heart-shape cookie cutter and bake them on my Silpat Baking Mat.

The dough was shiny because of the oil and was easy to work with after refrigerating for about 30 minutes.
Because of the oatmeal and the wheat germ the dough is brown already so be careful when baking them to avoid over-browning.

The taste: The crackers overall have a nutty crunchy taste. The salted crackers remind me of wheat thins and would go great with cream cheese spreads or chicken salads  The cinnamon/sugar crackers had a lightly sweetened taste to it and would be great with peanut butter. The savory crackers had a nutty, onion, earthy taste and would be perfect for meat and cheese trays.

Although this goes without saying, but I'm going to say it anyway...y'all know what this recipe is....IT'S A REPEAT!

If you haven't made homemade crackers before, this is a easy recipe to try out. Don't put it off like I did :) Get in the kitchen NOW...HURRY and make some crackers! :D Have fun and experiment with the toppings, I would love to know what flavors you come up with.
















ENJOY! Come again.....

Shared with: 
Lady Behind the Curtain: Cast Party Wednesday: Link Party #58
A Little Nosh: Tastetastic Thursday
Show Case Your Talent  @What's Cooking Love 
BYOB @ girlichef: BYOB - Bake Your Own Bread
Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage
What's Cooking Wednesday



4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love homemade crackers...and yours sound like no exception. I'll definitely have to make these! Thanks for sharing them w/ BYOB this month =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming over from Full Plate Thursday. I love to make homemade crackers. The sound so good and nutritious, too. One question, did you use old-fashioned of quick oats. The recipe didn't say, and it doesn't show in your photo. I will be sharing a link to this recipe on my Friday Finds this week. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I edited it show the right oats, thanks for linking it :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Cindy,
    Your Wheat Germ Crackers look awesome, I love the Salty and Sweet combination. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Followers