Search This Blog

Friday, November 30, 2012

Hearty Vegetable Barley Soup: Back of the Box Recipe

Hearty Vegetable Barley Soup: Back of the Box Recipe


Hi everybody :)

Do you love to used recipes found on the back of the box? I do. Every once in a while I find interesting recipes from boxes of cereals, dry mixes, can goods, etc... Being a recipe fanatic,     I collect them all in notebooks, tablets, and binders. This recipe I'm sharing today is from the back of a QUAKER Medium Barley's box. Let's get it started...

Hearty Vegetable Barley Soup 

Ingredients:
1/2 lb. Lean ground beef
1/2 cup Chopped onion
1 clove Garlic minced
7 cups water
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can Unsalted whole tomatoes. undrained, cut into pieces
1/2 cup QUAKER Medium Barley, uncooked
1/2 cup Sliced celery
1/2 cup Sliced carrots
2 Beef bouillon cubes
1/2 teaspoon Dried basil, crushed
1 Bay leaf
1 (9 oz) pkg. Frozen mixed vegetables


Directions :

In a 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven. brown meat Add onion and garlic: cook until onion is tender Drain. 
Stir in remaining ingredients except frozen vegetables. 
Cover: bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 50-60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf. Add frozen vegetables: cook about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. 
Additional water may be added if soup becomes too thick upon standing. MAKES 12 (1 CUP) SERVINGS


What I Did and/or Think:
I love homemade soup, this one was really great. It's also was another first for me. I never tasted barley before! I know, shocking isn't it :) It kind of remind me of oatmeal, look and taste. It's small before cooking and swell up afterward, and have a chewy oatmeal taste. This is another great REPEAT especially on the cold Winter days ahead. 

BTW, it's also a Chicken Barley Chili recipe on that same box, I'll be trying very soon, so stay tune :)




















Chicken Barley Chili










ENJOY! Come again...

Linked to: 
Farm Girl Friday Blog Fest: Fresh Eggs Daily 
The Better Baker Weekend Potluck
Foodie Fridays @ Designs By Gollum
Foodie Friday @ Simple Living
Friday Flair Party: Whipper Berry
Foodie Friends Friday @ Foodie Friends Friday 
It's a Hodgepodge Friday 
Shaken Together Life: {what's shakin' link party}
Miss Information: I Freakin' Did It Friday
Carole's Chatter Rice& Grain Recipe Links Food Friday  

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I love soups and this looks like a wonderful cold weather recipe. I'm copying the recipe right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday. Please come back Sunday to vote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds pretty darn good for a back of the box recipe. I have been trying to eat more of a variety of grains so barley recipes are definitely something I am looking for. Thanks for sharing this on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like my mom's it is one of my favorites! Thanks so much for sharing at I Freakin Did it Friday!

    PS Your captcha is on you may want to turn it off so you get more comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made this soup for years, and the only thing I do differently is that I precook the barley in salted water for about fifteen or twenty minutes, and then add it to the soup. Barley can thicken the soup more than I like, especially after the leftovers have been in the refrigerator for a while. Oh, another thing, I usually use stew meat instead of hamburger, but hamburger works just fine. Hamburger probably adds more fat, and a little fat always makes soup taste better.

    ReplyDelete

Followers