Search This Blog

Friday, September 14, 2012

Plate-Size Cookies, Resized

Plate-Size Cookies, Resized


Hi everybody :)

I woke up this morning with a serious sweet-tooth attack. This led me to my cookbooks. In a time like this the only cure is COOKIES. I love baking cookies more than anything else. My favorite cookie is Oatmeal.
So I started out looking for the BIGGEST oatmeal cookies I can find. One that's full of craisins, walnuts, coconut, and chocolate, all my favorite ingredients in an oatmeal cookie.

And I thought I might had succeeded.... 
Plate-Sized Cookie




















until I had to reevaluate my choice....  (see What I Did and/or Think below)

Plate-Size Cookies adapted  The Fannie Farmer Baking Book
















Ingredients
1 cup vegetable shortening (I used Butter-Flavored Crisco)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
1 cup raisins (I used dried cranberries or craisins)
1 cup grated coconut
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate morsels (I used Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips)
3 cups uncooked oatmeal (not instant) (I used old fashioned oatmeal)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease your biggest cookie sheets.
Combine the shortening and sugar in a very large mixing bowl, and beat until thoroughly blended.
Beating Shortening and Sugar


















Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then add the vanilla and water, and beat well. Stir and toss together the flour, salt, and baking soda.
Dough after adding the Flour


















Add them to the first mixture and beat until completely mixed Add the nuts, raisins, coconut, chocolate morsels, and oatmeal, and stir until blended.
Cookie Dough


















Using a 1/3-cup measure, scoop up pieces of dough and scrape them onto the prepared cookie sheets about 4 inches apart.
4 Cookies on a Sheet Pan


















With your moistened fingertips, flatten each blob of dough into an even round about 4 1/2 inches across and 1/4 inch thick Bake for 15 to 20 minutes (watch them carefully), until the cookies have spread and are golden brown all over. Remove from the oven and let cool on the sheet for a minute, then using a wide spatula transfer them to rack to cool completely.


















What I Did and/or Think:
I started off following the directions in the recipe using a 1/3 cup measure to scoop out the cookies, doing that I only cook 4 cookies at a time.  For a golden brown color I let my cookies cook for 9-10 minutes. I also use my Silpat Baking Mat. Cooking the cookies for 15 minutes as stated in the recipe cause them to be over-cooked. The cookies were great but they was thin, and being so big cause them to be difficult to move without coming apart.

They had to be resized. So I use my medium OXO Good Grips Cookie Scoop to scoop the dough out between chilling it. Bake at 350 degree for about 8 minutes and PERFECT-O! I had nice chewy cookies although not plate-sized, but totally worthy of a REPEAT!
Regular-Sized Cookies


















ENJOY! Come again....

Linking to
Not Your Ordinary Recipes: Foodtastic Friday
Whipper Berry: Friday Flair Link Party 
The Better Baker Weekend Potluck
Sweets for Saturday @ Sweet As Sugar Cookies
Show Your Stuff
Foodie Friday @ Simple Living 


1 comment:

  1. My goodness those cookies truly look satisfying. Thanks for sharing them on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete

Followers