Search This Blog

Friday, December 21, 2012

Lemon Drop Cookies with Lemon Glaze: Two Heads are Better than One

Lemon Drop Cookies with Lemon Glaze

Pucker Up #2: Lemon Drop Cookies

Hi everybody,

I  know it's not Spring Time yet, with these lemony treats and all but, I still have some more Meyer Lemons I wanted to use up. Although freezing lemons is a breeze, it nice to have fresh lemons to work with too. When I saw this recipe, I had to give it a try! Lemon Heads have always been one of my childhood favorite candies.



2 c. sugar
1 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. lemon extract
4 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp. salt
Finely chopped zest of one lemon
1 (6-oz) package lemon drops  (Lemon Heads Candy)
2 c. powdered sugar
juice of two lemons


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In mixing bowl, cream sugar, shortening, and eggs; add flavorings. 
Stir in dry ingredients, lemon zest, and crushed lemon drops (you can crush them  in a blender). 
Roll into balls (I used my medium OXO Good Grips Cookie Scoop), flatten slightly, and bake on parchment lined (if you don't use parchment or a Silpat Baking Mat, cookies will stick to pan)  place on baking sheet for 10 to 12 minutes. 
Let cool slightly on pan for a couple of minutes. Make a glaze by mixing powdered sugar with lemon juice. (Since I still had some glaze leftover from yesterday cookie, I used that.) Brush glaze over cookie tops. Let cookies cool completely. (I drizzle the glaze.)
 Makes 4 to 5 dozen cookies.

What I Did and/or Think:
I follow the recipe as directed up until the variation below. "Two heads are better than One" as the phase goes, in this case I'm talking cookies. So I decided to have a little fun with about 1/3 of the dough, making a variation to the recipe.

White Chocolate Coconut-Lemon Drop Cookies   Mixed in 1/2 cup white chocolate chips and 1/3 cup shredded coconut after adding the dry ingredients and continue as directed. 
The Taste: I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE both cookies version. I love lemons. The sweet tangy flavor dancing on my taste buds, have me humming a happy tune for the remaining part of my day. REPEAT is a MUST!

ENJOY! Come again... 

Linked to:
Farm Girl Friday Blog Fest: Fresh Eggs Daily  
The Better Baker Weekend Potluck
Foodie Friday @ Simple Living 
Shaken Together Life: {what's shakin' link party} 
Foodie Friends Friday @ Foodie Friends Friday  
  @ 21st Century Housewife
Sweet 2 Eat Baking: Sugar & Slice Sunday
Melt In Your Mouth Monday @ Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms 

8 comments:

  1. I have made these lemon cookies and I can say they are very good and very lemon. I posted them some time ago Nice lemon cookie. andi the wednesday baker. blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love foods flavored with lemon. Your cookies make me smile. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lemon cookies look delicious - and I like the step by step shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my! You had me at lemon!! I love lemon anything. I will be trying these. Have them pinned :)
    Thanks for sharing with us at Foodie Friends Friday.
    Dawn
    http://spatulasonparade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love lemon and I just saw Meyers lemons in my grocery store? Thanks for sharing this recipe on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lemons are one of my favourite flavours, and they are wonderful in baked goods. Your cookies look and sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loooooove lemon-cookies, and I should make them more often
    Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lemon cookies sound marvelous! Thanks for sharing this recipe with the Gallery of Favorites. I have pinned it to my cookies board.

    ReplyDelete

Followers