Search This Blog

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Lemon-Streusel Oatmeal Muffins: Breakfast Is Served

Lemon-Streusel Oatmeal Muffins: Breakfast Is Served 

 Oatmeal Love Part 2: Oatmeal Muffins

Hi everybody :)

It that time again, "Welcome to another Breakfast Is Served Sunday".  I hope you all enjoyed and had a safe holiday.   If you're just tuning  in to my post every Sunday I post a Breakfast Is Served.  Last week breakfast, Jammin' Oatmeal,  was one of the ways I love to eat my oatmeal. 

Continuing my love for the oats, today post is all about the oatmeal, part 2: Oatmeal muffins.  Let's get it started...

Oatmeal Muffins adapted Southern Living 1982 Annual Recipes

Ingredients

   1 cup quick-cooking oats, uncooked
   1 cup buttermilk
   1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
   1 egg, slightly beaten
   1 3/4 all-purpose flour
   1 teaspoon baking powder

   1 teaspoon baking soda
   1 teaspoon salt
   1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
   1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (I used nutmeg, freshly grated)
   1/4 teaspoon ground mace (I used allspice)
   1/2 cup vegetable oil
   1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
   1/2 cup raisins

Combine oats and buttermilk in a large bowl;  let stand 1 hour. 

Add brown sugar and egg: mix well.


Combine next 7 ingredients. 
 Stir into oat mixture. Stir in oil. grated lemon rind, and raisins.
Spoon into greased muffin pans, filling one-half full. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Yield: about 1 1/2 dozen. (I used jumbo muffin pans; see detail below)


Tip: Add a little water to muffin tins if you don't have enough batter to fill them, to keep them from burning.
Note: Wrap any leftovers in foil and freeze. To reheat, thaw to room temperature and bake in unopened foil at 350° for 15 minutes or until hot.















 

















What I Did and/or Think:
The changes I made are in Italic and Purple. 

This recipe was designed to make regular-sized muffins, but I like my muffins BIG : )  So I baked these in my jumbo muffin pan at 400 degree for 10 minutes, reduced oven temperature to 350 and baked 15 - 18 more minutes. I made 7 Jumbo muffins.

To up the lemon flavor I added a Lemon-Streusel Topping and Lemon Glaze to the muffins; recipe below.

The Taste: DELICIOUS!!!  Soft tender oatmeal muffin with bits of raisins and lemon flavor combined. I love the flavor, taste, and smell of these muffins. They are definitely worthy of REPEATING!
 
For the Lemon-Streusel Topping:  Optional
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup parked brown sugar
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
1/2 cup chopped pecans
 

1 tablespoon lemon zest

Mix flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, salt, nuts, sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Toss in nuts and
zest. You can cut this recipe in half if you like, because some will be leftover after sprinkling (just let the salt stay as is). 

Lemon Glaze: Optional
1 tablespoon Lemon juice
1/4 cup Powder sugar
1 teaspoon Butter





















ENJOY! Come again... 

Linked to:

BYOB @ girlichef: BYOB - Bake Your Own Bread

Nifty Thrifty Sunday
Everyday Moms Meals  

Think Pink Sunday @ Flamingo Toes Get Your Party On
WTFab: Sunday Funday Blog Hop
Scrumptious Sunday Recipe Link Party @ Addicted Recipes
Mop Up Mondays - I Should be Mopping the Floor 
Marvelous Mondays @ This Gal Cooks 
Melt In Your Mouth Monday @ Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms
The Bulletin Board @ Mrs Happy Homemaker 
Sew Can Do - Craftastic Monday Link Up Party 
The Chicken Chick: Clever Chicks Blog Hop
Jaime @ Mom's Test Kitchen 
Flour Me With Love: Mix it up Monday!
Carole's Chatter: Muffin & Cupcake Links Food Friday

5 comments:

  1. Hi! Found you on Flamingo Toes! I love that you incorporated oatmeal and lemon in your muffins - because I love both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound absolutely fabulous! Pinning :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound AMAZING! I wish I could start my day with one :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cindy, your muffins will make a delicious breakfast! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lemon in anythihng - has to be good! Thanks for linking this in too.

    ReplyDelete

Followers