Friday, March 1, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie Casserole: In Need of Comfort Food

Chicken Pot Pie Casserole: In Need of Comfort Food

 
Hi everybody :)
Although Spring is just around the corner, it's been a little too chilly and rainy here for February; now March. I was in need of some serious comfort food. For a quick pick-me-up-   comfort-food-dish, the first thing that came to mind was Chicken Pot Pie. But I didn't want to spend a lot of time preparing a crust, brainstorming, I got it, forget the crust and top it off with a bread. That's where these rolls come into the picture; I was lucky enough to get my hands on a sample pack of Garlic Knots from Wenner Bread. These buttery knots are delicious and only take minutes to brown in the oven. Although they are great on their own, I decided to add some of them to a casserole; a Chicken Pot Pie Casserole. Here's what I did...

The Chicken Filling:
3 boneless/skinless chicken breast, (3-4 cups) cooked and diced
2 cups potatoes, diced and cooked
2 cups frozen vegetable blend, (ie; carrots, peas, corn & green beans)
10 3/4 oz can Cream of Chicken
14.5 oz can Chicken Broth
1/4 cup water + 1 heaping tbsp. corn starch + 2 heaping tbsp. cheese sauce mix (sauce mix; optional)
1 Tbsp. butter, cut into pieces
1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning 
Salt & Pepper; to taste 
The Topping:
12  frozen prebaked Garlic Knots or any frozen rolls will work
1 tbsp. butter
 
Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl to combine.
Pour in a 13 by 9-inch baking pan or casserole pan.
Place frozen dinner rolls over the chicken filling. (The garlic knots where irregular shape, so I cut these into pieces to fix them into the pan.)
Cover with the rolls and thinly slice 1 Tbsp. butter over the top.
Tent with foil and place in oven.  Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20 -25 minutes; until bubbly. Remove foil and bake minutes longer or until rolls are golden brown.
Let set for about 15 - 20 minutes, and served. 
What I Think: 
The Taste: The casserole was DELICIOUS! The rolls accompany the chicken filling very well in making this dish a hit. Comfort food at it's BEST. REPEAT!

ENJOY! Come again...
Linked to:
Foodie Fridays @ Designs By Gollum 
Foodie Friday @ Simple Living   
The Country Cook.: Weekend Potluck 
Weekend Kitchen Creations 
Finding the Pretty Delicious Linky Party #7
Strut Your Stuff Saturday @ Six Sister's Stuff  

3 comments:

  1. This looks yummy! Please share this at Weekend Kitchen Creations, www.weekendkitchencreations.blogspot.com. Join us, share your delicious creation and get other scrumptious ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely in the comfort food mood myself... love a good chicken pot pie and this casserole makes it a bit easier. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Newest follower here! I found you through the six sisters' stuff blog hop :) You have a super cute blog, I can't wait to read more. You can find me at meandmr.com

    -Melanie @meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete