Search This Blog

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Baked Strawberry Donuts: Breakfast Is Served

Baked Strawberry Donuts: Breakfast Is Served

  From Quick Bread to Donuts 

Hi everybody :) 
"Welcome to another Breakfast Is Served Sunday!" If you're just tuning  in to my post, every Sunday I try to post a Breakfast Is Served. The last Breakfast Is Served post was Oatmeal Waffles.  

Today we're having Baked Strawberry Donuts! Did you know you can adjust just about any quick bread recipe to make muffins, donuts, and scones with a few easy changes to how it's baked? I did just that to a strawberry bread recipe from a Gooseberry Patch cookbook. Here's what I did... 
Baked Strawberry Donuts
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup oil (1 part olive oil & 1 part vegetable oil)
1 cup strawberries, hulled and chopped
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons cup chopped walnuts; optional

Powdered sugar or Lemon Icing; for topping, optional
 
Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease donut pan(s); set aside.
In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and sugar; set aside. 

In a small bowl combine oils and eggs. 
 Add to dry mixture along with strawberries and nuts, if using. 
Stir just until moist. 
Divide among pan(s) filling each donuts 3/4 full. (I used this pan). Baked 15 -20 minutes or until done. Cool in an a few minutes. Remove to cooling rack, cool for 15 minutes.  
 Top with icing or sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.

Sweet Strawberry Bread: 
To make Sweet Strawberry Loaves, double the ingredients for the donuts (originally 2 cups sugar and 1 1/4 cups walnuts).  Combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and sugar . Add eggs, one at a time.  beating well addition. Stir in oil; mix remaining ingredients. Divide batter between 2 greased and floured  9x5" loaf pans. Bake at 350 for one hour. Makes 2 loaves.
adapted: 101 Hearty Recipes Cookbook

Lemon Icing:
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon  lemon extract
Milk and/or lemon juice

Blend together butter, powdered sugar. and extract. Add milk one tablespoon at a time until you reach the right consistency for icing. For variations vanilla or almond extract can be used in the place of lemon.
adapted: One Smart Cookie   

What I Think: 
To cut calories, I think the next time I would use applesauce  in the place of oil or lower the oil down to 1/2 cup, using all olive oil and decease the sugar to 1/2 cup also. 
 
The Taste:  I love, love, love the donuts! The icing was great  with the donuts too. Most definitely a great REPEAT!   
 ENJOY! Come again...

Linked to:

6 comments:

  1. Yum!! I think that I might try these with blueberries because that is what I have :) Thinking about making these soon!! I just got the doughnut pan for Christmas and still haven't used it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always looking for new donut recipes, I love them! Especially baked! These strawberry donuts will be put on my rotation for sure! Would love it you'd share these at Saturday Share With Us!
    http://www.lemonsforlulu.com/2013/02/09/saturday-share-with-us/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for taking the time to share these donuts at Saturday Share With Us! I'm so grateful and hope you'll be back to share more tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so delicious! Strawberry is one of my favorites. Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    http://www.flourmewithlove.com/2013/02/mix-it-up-monday_10.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just made them for breakfast this morning and I am going to post my results soon! We did them without the fruit so that my son would eat them. They would be so much better with the fruit but they were yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We should make these one morning. I've never made donuts before. Show me, please.

    ReplyDelete

Followers