Search This Blog

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Cranberry Muffins from a Basic Batter: Breakfast Is Served

Cranberry Muffins from a Basic Batter:  Breakfast Is Served


Hi everybody :)

Before I get started today...

 Make A Difference:  Justice for Brandon C. Jackson
I like to call your attention to the new widget I have on the top left side of my blog. It's about the injustice treatment of Brandon C. Jackson. I don't know him, but his story have touched my heart.  I like to implore you to take a little time, if you will, to read his story, sign his petition and pass it along.  

"Welcome to another Breakfast Is Served Sunday!" If you're just tuning  in to my post, every Sunday I post a Breakfast Is Served. Last week breakfast Cherry Berry Crescent Rolls was made from a Basic Roll Dough  today's post is made from a base recipe too. This basic muffin batter can be use to create whatever flavor of muffins you desired. I love recipes like these, I'm sure you will too. Now, let's get it started...
                BASIC MUFFIN BATTER  adapted   The Woman 's Day Cookbook: Great Recipes, Bright Ideas, And Healthy Choices for Today's Cook
 

 Makes 12 muffins

Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time 17 minutes plus cooling


2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk

I added  1 teaspoon lemon zest
 

Heat the oven to 375°F. Grease twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin cups or line with foil (not paper) baking cups.

In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and buttermilk until blended. Stir in the flour mixture just until blended.
Follow the directions for the variation you have chosen and divide the batter among the muffin cups.
 

Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Turn the muffins out onto the rack and cool completely.






I divided the batter in half. Did 1/2 Cranberry Muffins, 1/2 Cranberry Up-Down Muffins

























I prepared the pan for each half . For Jumbo Muffin see "What I Did ..." section below.

 With filling below, I mix as directed adding 1 teaspoon lemon zest to it. I also added about 3 Tablespoons of Cherry Berries Blend, sniped; to the filling.


  CRANBERRY MUFFINS  

Mix 3/4 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce, 1/4 cup chopped pecans, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, and 3/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg into the basic batter.

Divide the batter among the muffin cups and top each with 1 pecan half. Bake and cool as directed.

OR  

CRANBERRY UPSIDE-DOWN MUFFINS




















Thoroughly grease muffin pan cups (do not line with paper cups). Mix 3/4 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce, 1/4 cup chopped pecans, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg until well blended.

Divide the mixture among the muffin cups. Press 1 pecan half, top side down, Into the cranberries. Add 1/2 tea- spoon grated nutmeg to the flour in step 2 of the basic batter. Divide the batter among the muffin cups and spread gently to cover the cranberries. Bake as directed. Turn out the muffins after cooling in the pan for 15 minutes.


What I Did and/or Think:
The changes I made are in Bold, Italic, and Purple.

This recipe was designed to make regular-sized muffins, but I like my muffins BIG : )  So I baked these in my jumbo muffin pan at 400 degree for 10 minutes, reduced oven temperature to 350 and baked 15 - 18 more minutes.

The Taste: The taste of these muffin reminds me of pound cake. They were tender and buttery with a nice tangy from the buttermilk and a burst of citrus from the lemon zest addition. I also LOVE the taste of the cranberry filling. Whether you swirled the filling into the batter or  layer the bottom, to produce the lovely up-down-look these muffins would make a wonderful addition to your breakfast table. MOST DEFINITELY REPEAT.


 












ENJOY! Come again...

Linked to:
BYOB @ girlichef: BYOB - Bake Your Own Bread
Scrumptious Sunday Recipe Link Party @ Addicted Recipes 
Nifty Thrifty Sunday  
Everyday Moms Meals 
Think Pink Sunday @ Flamingo Toes Get Your PartyOn
Sweet 2 Eat Baking: Sugar & Slice Sunday  
 Marvelous Mondays @ This Gal Cooks
 The Chicken Chick: Clever Chicks Blog Hop
 Melt In Your Mouth Monday @ Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms 
Just Something I Whipped Up
Recipe Sharing Monday @ Jam Hands
Jaime @ Mom's Test Kitchen
Carole's Chatter: Muffin & Cupcake Links Food Friday 

3 comments:

  1. How pretty and festive. Love the pecans. Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Have a blessed week & come back soon ~EMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, thanks for linking this in to Food on Friday. Love cranberries. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Followers