Search This Blog

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Freezer Buttermilk Biscuits: Breakfast Is Served

Freezer Buttermilk Biscuits: Breakfast Is Served

 Freezer Buttermilk Biscuits with Honey Cinnamon Butter

Hi everybody :)

I'm still rearing in an emotional turmoil from the lost last week, but I know my my heart Jennifer would want me to move on. 

With that in mind, I like to welcome you to another Breakfast Is Served Sunday. If you're just tuning in to my blog, every Sunday I post a Breakfast Is Served. To catch up, last week Breakfast Is Served Sunday's post is found here.

This week recipe is from my cookbooks collection. I'm always on the look-out for large quantity cooking or baking that can be made-ahead and frozen, this recipe is just that. These buttermilk yeast biscuits are perfect for my small family too. I can take out how many biscuits I want to bake, whenever I want.

Freezer Biscuits adapted Calling All Cooks Three

INGREDIENTS















5 cups flour ( I used 3 cups all-purpose flour & 2 cups whole wheat flour)
1/4 cup sugar (not shown in picture)
1 tablespoon baking powder       
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt 
1 cup shortening
1 envelope dry yeast
2 tablespoons warm water
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup melted butter

Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into bowl. 
Cut in shortening until crumbly.
Dissolve yeast in warm water. Mix with buttermilk. (I mixed the water & buttermilk together, heated it until it reached 110 degrees. Mix in the yeast, and let set for 5 minutes.)
 Add to flour mixture; mix well. ( After mixing, I refrigerated the dough for about 1 hour.)
Roll to desired thickness on floured surface; cut with biscuit cutter. ( I divided the dough into 3 parts, patted the dough down into shape, and used a 3 inches circular cutter to cut.)
 Place on baking sheet. Freeze until firm. Store in airtight container in freezer.  This recipe will make enough biscuits for 4 people for 6 meals.
Dip desired number of biscuits in melted butter; place on baking sheet.
Bake at 400 degrees until brown. (Unfrozen, about 15 minutes; frozen about 15-2o minutes.)  
Yield: 24 servings. (I got 28 biscuits)

What I did and/or Think:
 

The changes I did are in Purple and Italic.

The Taste: The biscuits were tender, flaky, and delicious. I think this is a great base recipe to expand on to suit whatever taste you're going for, like if you want Cinnamon Raisins Biscuit, you can add cinnamon and raisin to the dough before shaping; or Bacon and Cheese Biscuit, or Garlic and Herbs Biscuits, etc, etc.  This recipe is definitely a REPEAT! I served it with Honey Cinnamon Butter, which was amazing delicious too; recipe below.

Honey Cinnamon Butter:
1 part butter, softened
1 part honey, your favorite brand
Cinnamon to taste

















Combine all ingredients, mixing well. You can also use this with the honey added.









































ENJOY! Come again...

Linked to: 
YeastSpotting! @ wildyeast 
BYOB @ girlichef: BYOB - Bake Your Own Bread 
Scrumptious Sunday Recipe Link Party @ Addicted Recipes 
Blissful And Domestic Sunday Blog Hop  
Nifty Thrifty Sunday  
Everyday Moms Meals  
Think Pink Sunday @ Flamingo Toes Get Your Party On
Sunday Sweet Confessions: Mommy's Sweet Confessions  
Mommy Archive

2 comments:

  1. These are fabulous, Cindy! I love the thought of having a batch ready to eat in the freezer. And biscuits with honey butter is my favorite...I need to try the addition of cinnamon - it sounds lovely. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great - it makes such a difference doesn't it having yummy breakfast things in the freezer.

    I would love for you to link up at the Mommy Archive - we're focusing on favourite freezer recipes and tips this week, Alice x

    ReplyDelete

Followers