Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Red Velvet Peppermint Whoopie Pies: Making Whoopies

Red Velvet Peppermint Whoopie Pies 


Hi everybody :)

I'm so excited...I'm making whoopies today! YA! I brought my whoopie pie pans months ago. I don't know why it took me this long to decide to make some. Go figure... So this is my first whoopie...whoopie pie, that is :)

While browsing the web, I came across this red velvet cake made from a box and flavored with peppermint. Yum! I thought to myself this would definitely make great whoopie pies. The filling recipe came with the pans. So here's what I did...




















Red Velvet Peppermint Whoopie Pies inspired by this and adapted
















Red Velvet Cake Mix
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup vegetable oil or 6 tbsp. melted butter; cooled
1 teaspoon peppermint extract

Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix cake mix, eggs, and oil until completely dissolved into dough. Add  peppermint extract.
















Drop balls of dough (2 Tablespoons) onto lightly greased baking sheet or whoopie pie pan.
















Bake 9-12 min. or until  done. Remove and cool.(If using whoopie pie pan allow to cool in pan for 8 minutes before removing.)

Whoopie Pie Filling adapted Wilton
















6 tablespoons butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 jar marshmallow creme (about 7 oz)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used peppermint)
 Pink food coloring (optional)
For Garnishing:
Crushed peppermint candy (optional)

In large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer until creamy. Add sugar and salt to the butter; mix well.
















Add marshmallow creme and vanilla; blend well.
















If desired, add food coloring. Roll edges in crushed peppermint candy. Makes about 2 1/2 cups, of filling, enough to fill 12 whoopie pies.






















What I Did and/or Think:

I divided the mix in half, put 1/4 cup crushed peppermint in one of the halves. Bake up the pans one at a time. CAUTION: Do not over-bake! I baked the first pan for 10 minutes and let  them sit for the 8 minutes in pan as instructed in the pan baking directions. Don't do that! They will over-bake that way. *Lesson Learned* If you want nice chewy moist whoopie pies bake for about 9 minutes and carefully remove from pan in about 1 - 2 minutes. This was tested with a Duncan Hines Cake Mix, I do know if this is true for a cake from scratch. I will be testing it out soon, so stay tune in :)

I only made half of the filling recipe, so I drizzled some of the cookies with a peppermint glaze (recipe below) and dusted the rest with powdered sugar. So have fun and get creative with this...

For the Peppermint Glaze:
1/3 cup Powdered Sugar; sifted
1 teaspoon Peppermint Extract
about 2 Tablespoons Milk
Mix together sugar and extract, add enough milk to make it drizzle.

The Taste: The first pan was great, but a little over-cooked, but the second batch was Deliciously Chewy and Moist. I LOVE the mint flavor in these!! TIP: The filling is sticky, so let it chill a little to help make it more easier to work with. Run your scoop under warm water to make dipping easier. This is a REPEAT, people! I got to try this with a carrot cake mix next, using a lemon, orange, or pineapple flavoring in the place of the mint!  :)

















ENJOY! Come again...

Linked to:
Sweets for Saturday # 90 @ Sweet As Sugar Cookies
Cast Party Wednesday @ Lady Behind the Curtain
Whatcha’ Whipped Up #19
 Made By Me Wednesdays # 52 Link Party
Show & Share Wednesday #7
 Thursdays Treasures
 Sweet Treats and Swanky Stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers