Search This Blog

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Succotash Soup: Soup On

Succotash Soup


Hi everybody :)

With Fall in full effect and cooler days ahead, soups are definitively in my meal plans. Yesterday, dinner was great. Soup was on at my house. I made a vegetable soup. It was simple and easy to prepare and only takes a few ingredients you may already have.  For a full meal serve with your favorite sandwich, it's great with  grilled ham and cheese sandwiches, but I chose to serve it with Garlic Bagel Chips which were equally good.
Here's what I did...

Succotash Soup




















The Ingredients 













 

3 tablespoons butter (not shown)
1 large onion, diced
2 large carrots
1 stalk celery
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes 
2 cans (14.5 oz.) triple succotash (I used Margaret Holme
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch or flour (not shown)
1/4 cup  water (not shown)
1 teaspoon sugar (not shown)
2 teaspoons Franks Red Hot Sauce (not shown) optional
Fresh or Frozen okra (I used frozen)
Salt and Pepper to taste 

Directions

In a medium 3 quart pot; melt butter over medium heat, add onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until tender, about 8 minutes.















Add tomato



















and succotash. Turn temperature down to simmer. Mix cornstarch and water together; add to soup to thicken. Add sugar and hot sauce, if desired . Cook, covered, about 10 minutes.



















Remove from heat, add okra, stir in and cover. 
















Let sit for about 5 minutes. The heat for the soup will cook the okra. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

















Homemade vegetable soup is always a favorite for me. I love, love,  love this recipe. I especially LOVE okra in my soup. Sometimes I do add meat to this, but mostly I just serve it along side.  

Feeling a little chilly in your part of town? ... Greet the Fall months ahead with a warm pot of soup, and soup we'll be on at your house also :)

















ENJOY! Come again...

Linked to:
Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Hookin' Up #120 @ House of Hepworths 
Creative Juice Thursday @ Momnivore's Dilemma
Tastetastic Thursday 10/11 
 Sweet Treats and Swanky Stuff
Food on Friday: Soup Glorious Soup!  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cindy,
    It is sure time to get the soup pot out. Your Succotash Soup looks delicious and we would really enjoy it. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Followers