Pizza-Stuffed Potatoes: Pizza In A Spud
Hi everybody :)
Still working on my cookbook mission I mentioned in my earlier post here; I bring you another recipe from my collection, Pizza-Stuffed Potatoes. Similar to a pizza dough made using cooked potatoes in its crust, in this recipe, the potato itself served as the crust. Therefore, eliminating the dough out of pizza :) hee..hee... When I saw this, I thought it was such a great idea I had to share it. So here we go...
Pizza-Stuffed Potatoes From: CREATIVE COOKS' KITCHEN COOKBOOK
You Will Need
FOR THE POTATOES
4 large baking potatoes
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup thinly sliced pepperoni, divided
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1 small green pepper, cut in thin strips (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese ( I also added about 1/4 cup cheddar cheese)
2 tablespoons grated
PREPARING THE POTATOES
1. Preheat oven to 450°F Scrub the potatoes; pierce with a fork and rub with vegetable oil. Place potatoes on a baking sheet and bake until fork tender, about 45 minutes.
2. Halve potatoes lengthwise and scoop out flesh, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell with skin. Set flesh aside.
|Hallowed -Out Potato|
3. Chop 1/2 cup sliced pepperoni. Cut remaining slices in half; set aside.
4. In a large bowl, mash together the potato flesh, sour cream, salt and pepper; add chopped pepperoni.( I add about 1/4 cup cooked ground beef to this)
5. Spoon potato mixture back into shells and arrange on baking sheet.
|Potato Halves with Filling|
6. Top potatoes with tomato sauce, mushrooms, green pepper snips, remaining pepperoni, mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake until heated through, about 15 minutes. (It took me about 8-10 minutes)
|Potato Halve Toppings|
Just as on a traditional pizza, you can vary the toppings on these stuffed potatoes for a whole new taste sensation.Try one of the following combinations:
TACO PIZZA: Browned ground beef, taco seasoning mix, salsa, diced green chilies, shredded Monterey Jack cheese
POLYNESIAN PIZZA: Pineapple chunks, ham or prosciutto, coconut
VEGGIE PIZZA: Chopped roasted red peppers, eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes, grated Parmesan cheese
GOURMET PIZZA: Arugula, sliced artichoke hearts, sliced portabella mushrooms, sliced fontina cheese
GREEK PIZZA: Mini-shrimp, sliced Greek olives, crushed rosemary, crumbled feta cheese
PESTO PIZZA: Pesto, chopped fresh garlic, crumbled chevre cheese
What I think:
THESE WERE DELICIOUS!!! So glad I made them. I did add some ground beef to the potato filling and sprinkled a little cheddar cheese on top with the other cheeses. So this is definitely a repeat! You can also use this method and make Pizza-Stuffed Potato Skins!!!
UPDATE: These were soooo good I made them again, later tonight.
ENJOY! Come again...
Show Case Your Talent @What's Cooking Love