Search This Blog

Monday, January 14, 2013

Yum-Yum Brussels Sprouts

Yum-Yum Brussels Sprouts

 
Hi everybody :)

Sorry about not posting a Breakfast Is Served, yesterday. I had a very hectic day and nothing went as scheduled. I was out running errands most of the day. Being outside most of the day, I noticed the weather. We're having some very odd weather here, in the middle of Winter and it's feels like it's Summer outside. Oh well, enjoy it, while I can, I guess. 

Now, on to the post...

As I mentioned here, I didn't developed a love for brussels sprouts until I was much older. Now, I can't seems to get enough of the stuff :) So I don't know if I would have liked them as a child. But Dusti of Want to get Crafty? claims this is a brussels sprouts dish that everyone, even kids will eat.  I don't have little kids, but I do have 2 very picky adults eaters. One is off at college, my daughter, she's slowly coming around.... and  Mr. I-don't-eat-no-brussels-sprouts hubby. He's a stubborn one. Whenever I cooked brussels sprouts, he looks at me with a frown and refuse to even taste them. To get him to come around, I had to give this recipe a try. So, let's get it started


Yum-Yum Brussels Sprouts

2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (They have it in 2lbs bags at Sam's Club)

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons maple syrup (I used 3 tbsp.)

3 slices of bacon, cut into1/2-inch pieces

1 medium sweet onion, sliced (Peru Sweet Onion)
Salt and pepper, to taste.

Set oven at 400 degrees. Have on hand a large rimmed baking sheet.
In a bowl, toss the Brussels sprouts with olive oil, maple syrup, bacon, salt, and pepper. 
Spread the mixture in a single layer on the baking sheet
 Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, turning several times, or until the Brussels sprouts are tender and caramelized and the bacon is crisp and golden

SOURCE: Want to Get Crafty

What I Did and/or Think:
 I add 1 medium sweet Peru Onion to the mix and an extra tablespoon of syrup.
 The Taste: It was delicious! The maple syrup along with the sweet onion gave the brussels sprouts a mild sweet taste. IT WAS AMAZING. I have to say it was the BEST brussels sprouts I ever tasted! REPEAT AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE!  My son and I LOVE them!

In case you're wondering.... no, I could not get hubby to give it a try. But I'm not giving up, I think the next time I do cabbage, I'll add some brussels sprouts to it....but shhhh, it's our little secret.

ENJOY! Come again... 

Linked to:
Melt In Your Mouth Monday @ Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms  
Flour Me With Love: Mix it up Monday!
Jaime @ Mom's Test Kitchen
Watch Out Martha
Recipe Sharing Monday @ Jam Hands
Mop Up Mondays - I Should be Mopping the Floor
Marvelous Mondays @ This Gal Cooks
Wednesdays Adorned From Above  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy, for me, Christmas dinner is not the same without Brussel Sprouts!! I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually make brussels with bacon and maple syrup but usually in a skillet. I also love roasting them, so maybe I will have to try your method which is a combo of the two!

    ReplyDelete

Followers