Search This Blog

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Garden Ranch-Styled Cheese-Its

Garden Ranch-Styled Cheese-Its  

Hi everybody :)

Have you ever tried making your own crackers before? Don't worry, I'm sorta new to the idea too, in fact the two crackers recipes I ever made were the Wheat Germ Crackers and Cheddar Pepper & Herb Crisps. They were fairly easy to make. 

Now I want to upped my game, if you know what I mean and try something a little more difficult but still fun to make.  When I saw the homemade Cheese-Its, I knew I found the one I will be making next. I chose Katrina's recipe because she uses shortening along with the  butter to help make it more crispy. A crispy cracker is always a better cracker in my opinion :)

Although, I did change up the recipe a little bit, I used a White Garden Jack Cheese in the place of the cheddar and here's what else I did...
Garden Ranch-Styled Cheese-Its
8 oz Garden Jack, grated
3 Tablespoons of unsalted butter, room temperature(I used cold butter & grated it)
1 Tablespoon vegetable shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon Salad Supreme Seasoning
2 Tablespoons ice water (I used about 1tablespoon)
Coarse salt for sprinkling

1/4 teaspoon ranch dressing mix (dry)  for sprinkling

Combine cheese, butter, shortening, and salt in the bowl of your mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. The mixture will be crumbly. Mix flour and seasoning. Slowly add flour mixture and then the ice water being careful not to add too much, just enough for dough to come together.  
 Pat the dough into 2 discs and wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes (or longer).
Preheat oven to 375⁰F.
Using parchment paper or a silicone mat roll each disc to 1/8 inch or less and cut into 1 inch squares (a pastry wheel or pizza wheel is easiest). Use a toothpick to punch a hole into the center of each square.
Refrigerate for about 10 minutes, if you have difficulty separating and transferring the crackers onto the baking sheet (while you roll out the 2nd dough disc).
Bake for 10 – 15 minutes or until puffed and browning around the edges.  Watch carefully you  want nice crispy crackers, not burnt. (Baking these on a Silpat for Bread also helps with the crispiness too.)
Source: In Katrina's Kitchen
What I Think:
The recipe wasn't as difficult as I first thought, the only timely part was cutting out the shapes. Preparing the dough is basically the same way you would make a pie crust dough. 

I love the possibilities of the recipe, by changing out the cheeses and/or adding a different seasoning will get you a whole new taste! I can't wait to try it with White Cheddar Cheese!

The Taste: I love the crispiness of the cracker, so much like the Cheese Its. GREAT! It's a A.G.R. (Another Great REPEAT!) 

Thanks so much to Katrina for sharing her recipe. If you want a Crispy Homemade Cheddar Cheese-Its, check out hers.

ENJOY! Come again...

Linked to:
Show Case Your Talent  @What's Cooking Love
Somewhat Simple Link Party Thursday 
Think Tank Thursday: Saving 4 Six    
Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage 

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked the recipe. Thanks for telling me :) Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ! way to go on the cracker making, Cindy. I have have to try, although I have a recipe waiting in the wings for a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this recipe on Katrina's blog and I still haven't made them! I super love these and I really want to make them. I hope that I get to them soon!!! This was a super good reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cindy,
    I just love those little Cheese Its, and can't wait to try this recipe. Hope you have a great weekend and thanks for sharing your tasty recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried making cracker, but I'd love ot
    Thank you for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers