Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Honey Wheat Sourdough Rolls: Baking & Cleaning

Honey Wheat Sourdough Rolls: Baking & Cleaning


 Hi everybody,

The Connecticut shooting is still weighing heavy on my heart, I just can't imagine what the parents are going though. My thoughts and prayers are still with them...

In times of despair... when I'm feeling hopeless, I sometimes find I little distraction in baking and cleaning. Yesterday I  mixed up 4 batches of the Sourdough French Rolls, but making them more healthier with a honey wheat variation. It basically the same recipe with a few changes here and there. Here's what I did...
 SOURDOUGH ROLLS
Honey Wheat Sourdough French Rolls

Prep: 15 min. + rising  BAKE: 20 min. + cooling

1   package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
1 3/4  cups warm water (110° to 115°)

2 cups wheat flour
2 1/4  cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup 
Sourdough Starter - Taste of Home  
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoon salt


Italian Garlic Butter Topping
















2 tablespoons garlic butter, melted
1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning

1. In a large mixing howl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add Starter, oil, honey and salt;
add the flours, mix well.
Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 20-30 times (dough will be slightly sticky).
Place in a greased bowl, turning, once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Divide each halves in half again to make 4 equal parts. Shape into hoagie-style rolls. (See photos on Sourdough French Rolls) Place onto greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Brush roll gently with garlic butter and sprinkle with Italian Seasoning. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes.
I love the slight hint of honey of these rolls. I was just playing around with the topping but I love the flavor it added to the rolls as well. I'm so glad I made extra batches because they are a new favorite at my house. Definitely REPEATING!

ENJOY! Come again...

Honey Wheat Sourdough Mini Rolls (see photos for Mini Herbal "Hoagie" Rolls


















Linked to:
YeastSpotting! @ wildyeast 
BYOB @ girlichef: BYOB - Bake Your Own Bread 
Jaime @ Mom's Test Kitchen
Zentmrs: Tuesday's Table 
Tuesday-Talent-Show:  Chef In Training 
Kathe With an E You're Gonna Love It 
Show Me What Ya Got 
33 Shades of Green-Tasty Tuesday
Show Me What You Got Tuesday's at ODH 
Trick or Treat Tuesday: Inside BruCrew Life 
 

1 comment:

Followers