Search This Blog

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Garlic-Ranch Buttermilk Kaiser Rolls

Garlic-Ranch Buttermilk Kaiser Rolls 


Hi everybody :)

I'm making bread again. This recipe come from Taste of Home Potluck!: 336 Crowd-Pleasing Favorites for Easy Entertaining. When I saw that it was a yeast bread recipe where you just add all the dry ingredients together and then add the liquids that what got my attention. The recipe also said the yield was 80 rolls, but I downsized it to fit my family. I wanted to learn how to shape a kaiser roll also, so after reading up on it. I thought these rolls would be good to practice my technique on. Plus I wanted garlic rolls for dinner tonight and bread dough for later usages. So, let's get it started...

Buttermilk Pan Rolls









 
Ingredients
4 1/2 to 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (It took me about 5 1/4 cups)
1/4 cup buttermilk blend powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 1/8 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 3/4 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
1/4 cup vegetable oil (not shown)

In large bowls, combine 3 cups flour, buttermilk powder, sugar, salt, yeast and baking soda














Add water and oil Beat until smooth Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
















 
Turn onto a floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes Place in a  large greased bowl, turning once to grease top. (I used my kitchen-aid stand mixer to do this part)
Before Rising
Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubted about 1-1/4 hours.
After Rising
Punch dough down. Divide into 20 pieces. Shape each into  ball. Place in greased  baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Bake at 375° for 20-30 minutes or until lightly browned Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm, yield. 20 very small rolls.

 What I Did and/or Think: 
The original recipe makes 80 rolls. I downsized the recipe into 1/4 for 20 servings, but I think the rolls have to have been very small because when I finished the dough looks like it could have made maybe 12 regular sized rolls and 20 very small rolls. I wanted BIG rolls like the kaiser rolls at the store. So here's what I did...

First I prepared the dough as stated above, then I divide the dough in half. I put away the 2nd half to use later in a future post. With the 1st half, I divide into 4 parts. To make them Garlic-Ranch Buttermilk Kaiser Rolls, with each part, I roll into 12" ropes,











knotted. and tuck into kaiser rolls.... Not bad for my first attempt,  huh :)
















Place them on greased pan. I used the topping below to sprinkle over rolls before baking,

For the Garlic-Ranch Topping: 
1/2  teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 teaspoon ranch seasonings (powdered mix)
1/4 teaspoon Ms Dash and Onion Herb Seasoning

Combine and sprinkle over top of rolls before baking.















next covered and let rise for about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes






















The Taste: I love the taste of these rolls, soft, tender, and fluffy. The recipe stated they are best warm, and they are! They would be great with any Italian dish or soup recipe. These are definitely go on my REPEAT list. I'll just had to remember to double the amount next time because with this I got 4 BIG Rolls. My small family are BIG bread eaters :)



P.S: Stay tune for what I do with the 2nd. part of the dough :)

ENJOY! Come again...   

Omelet Breakfast Pizza

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy,
    Your tutorial for Garlic Ranch Buttermilk Kaiser Rolls looks great. These Roll will be delicious and I can't wait to make them. Enjoy your weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Friday Cindy! I wanted to stop by & let you know that you are being featured this week at Mom's Test Meal Mondays! Thanks so much for linking up this week!!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Followers