Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Macaroni Coleslaw: Great Idea!

Macaroni Coleslaw: Great Idea!


Hi everybody :)

While browsing the net I came across this recipe. It took two great salads and combined them together, into one. Great Idea! I love macaroni salads and  I love coleslaw. Why didn't I think of that? Oh well...

I shared this idea with my daughter over the phone...

"That don't always work, mom."  my doubtful daughter said as she reminded me of the time when she was about 5 years old and make a Peanut Butter, Jelly and Bologna Sandwich.

Because she love Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich and Bologna Sandwich, she decided to put them both  together and made a Peanut Butter, Jelly and Bologna Sandwich. Well, to say she hated it; was an understatement.

I told her, "I don't think I will have that problem."

So here we go....

Macaroni Coleslaw adapted Taste of Home

Ingredients














For the noodles:
1 package (7 ounces) ring macaroni (I used elbow macaroni)
1 package (14 ounces) coleslaw mix
2 medium onions, finely chopped (I used about 1/4 cup)
2 celery ribs, finely chopped 
1 medium cucumber, finely chopped (I used 1/2 English Cucumber)
1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
1 can (8 ounces) whole water chestnuts, drained and chopped ( I omitted this)












For the Dressing:
1 1/2 cups Miracle Whip Light
1/3 cup sugar
1/4  cup cider vinegar
1/2  teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
I added 1/2 teaspoon Mrs Dash Onion and Herb Seasoning
I added 1/2 teaspoon Salad Supreme Seasoning

Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water. Transfer to a large bowl; add the coleslaw mix, onions, celery, cucumber, green pepper and water chestnuts.
The Noodle Mixture



















In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. 
The Dressing Mixture


















Pour over salad; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Yield: 16 servings.
Adding the Dressing





































 TIP: If you want the cucumbers in your salad to be cool and crunchy, just chill them overnight in ice water.



















What I Did and/or Think:
Like all pasta salads and coleslaw, they are best if made the night before or had a chance to sit in the refrigerator for a few hours, so plan ahead. I made a few changes to the original recipe by adding Mrs Dash Seasoning and Salad Supreme to the dressing mixture and omitting the water chestnuts, (I just don't like them) and only using 1/4 cup onion for the noodle mixture. 

Now for the taste, this was THE BEST!!! I love the flavors. A very tasty combination, the best way to describe it is, if macaroni salad married coleslaw and had a baby this would be the result. This will now be my new go-to salad. You all know what that mean.... IT'S A REPEAT!

If you want to change it up:  I think for a Seafood Macaroni Slaw,  about 1/2 cup cooked chopped shrimps would be a nice addition. 

And for all you bacon lovers (ME.. ME.. ME...) about 1/2 cup bacon bacon bits can be added to create a Bacon Macaroni Slaw.  Real bacon, not the fake stuff :) 

So this was a great idea after all... I'm going to tell Miss Doubtful that the next time she calls. 

*******UPDATE Picture******* Seafood Macaroni Slaw

ENJOY ! Come again.... 

Linked to  
Chef In Training: Talent Show # 52 
 33 Shades of Green: Tasty Tuesday ,   
Kid in the Kitchen Link Up Week 30 
Mandy's Recipe Box: Totally Tasty Tuesdays 
Kathe With an E: You're Gonna Love It 
Naptime Creations: Tasteful Tuesday
It's A Blog Party!: Delicious Dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers