Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Herbed Oatmeal Pan Bread: Healthy Grains

Herbed Oatmeal Pan Bread

   
Hi everybody :)

I'm baking another bread recipe, Herded Oatmeal Pan Bread. Looking thorough my cookbooks, I spotted this recipe. Wanting to keep the healthy grains theme going, I made the bread to serve with the Chicken Barley Chili. Let's get it started...
Herbed Oatmeal Pan Bread adapted The Taste of Home Baking Book

PREP: 25 min. + rising BAKE: 20 mm.
YIELD: 8-10 servings

1-1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup old-fashioned oats
2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons butter, softened
2 teaspoons salt
1 egg
4 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour 


TOPPING:
1/4 cup butter, melted, divided
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
 

In a small bowl combine boiling water and oats; cool to 110°-115°. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, butter, salt, egg, oat mixture and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour in form a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic about 6-8 minute Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Punch dough down. Press evenly into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan. With a very sharp knife, cut diagonal lines 1-1/2 in. apart completely through dough Repeat in opposite direction, creating a diamond pattern. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
Redefine pattern by gently poking along cut lines with knife tip. Brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, combine Parmesan cheese, basil, oregano and garlic powder. Brush bread with remaining butter; sprinkle with cheese mixture. Bake for 5 minutes. Cover loosely with foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Serve warm.
 What I Did and/or Think:
I didn't make any changes. Although the bread is baked in a pan, which is very simple, I think it would also make a really good monkey bread. 

The Taste: The flavor of the bread was delicious, soft texture on the inside with buttery herbal taste on outside. I love the flavor of the herbs. I'm definitely REPEATING this one using the monkey bread technique.

To make this even more healthy, I think 1 1/2 cups wheat flour, in the place of some of the all-purpose flour would make a nice addition to this bread.
ENJOY! Come again...

Linked to:
YeastSpotting! @ wildyeast
BYOB @ girlichef: BYOB - Bake Your Own Bread
Kathe With an E You're Gonna Love It   
Show Me What You Got Tuesday's at ODH  
Tuesday-Talent-Show:  Chef In Training  
33 Shades of Green-Tasty Tuesday 
The Winthrop Chronicles Link Party
Trick or Treat Tuesday: Inside BruCrew LifeTasty Confessional: Crafty Confessions  

3 comments:

  1. I like your idea of baking this bread in a flat pan with nice and healthy flavors and ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving the way this is baked in a pan like that - I think it's something my whole family would go crazy for! I'm saving the recipe to make this weekend, thanks Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks super yummy. I am totally going to make this with some baked potato soup to class it up!!!

    I just found your blog and I am a new follower...can't wait to see lots of your other posts. When you get a chance, come check out mine :) http://novafrugalfamily.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Followers