Search This Blog

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Streusel Topped Baked French Toast: Breakfast Is Served

Streusel Topped Baked French Toast: Breakfast Is Served


Hi everybody :)

Welcome to another Breakfast Is Served Sunday, if you're just tuning in to my blog every Sunday I post a Breakfast Is Served. Last week Breakfast Is Served Sunday's post is found here.

Today you're in for a treat, I'm making French toast with the bread for yesterday post found  here. Not just any French toast but French toast made in the oven with a streusel topping and sprinkled with powdered sugar. OH YEAH! 

Let's get it started...

















Oven-Baked French Bread adapted The Woman's Day Cookbook: Great Recipes, Bright Ideas, And Healthy Choices for Today's Cook

Ingredients:














6 large eggs
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1 1/2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I also added 1/4 tsp. apple pie spice & 1/4 tsp. pumpkin spice)
12 1/2-inch-thick slices firm white bread (I used Multigrain Breads: Raisin-Swirled & Honey Wheat)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Directions:
1. Adjust the oven racks so that one is in the lowest position and the other it in the middle. Heat the oven to 425°F Lightly butter 2 jelly roll pans

2. In a medium-size bowl, lightly beat the eggs with a fork. Stir in the milk, confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon until blended.













3. Soak the bread. 1 slice at a time, in the egg mixture for about 5 minutes, or until absorbed. 













Place 6 soaked slices in each prepared pan. Cut the butter into pieces and scatter over the bread.














4. Place 1 pan on each oven rack. Bake for 8 minutes. Turn each piece and switch the positions of the pans. Bake for 7 minutes more, or until the top is golden brown.

5. Remove the French toast to a serving platter. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve right away.



















What I Did and or Think:
I followed the recipe up to step #3. After soaking the bread, I dipped it in the streusel topping, recipe below. Then, I continue with the recipe as stated. Some I sprinkled with powdered sugar the others I left plain. I put some in the streusel topping, some I didn't. I like variety in my food :)














For the Streusel Topping
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter

Mix together dry ingredients cut in butter with pastry blender or fork.

The Taste: I LOVE the taste of the toasts. I even liked the little piece below with the raisin bread, my son said it was GREAT! The recipe will be going in my REPEAT files!



















ENJOY! Come again... 

Linked to:
Scrumptious Sunday Recipe Link Party #33 @ Addicted Recipes
Melt In Your Mouth Monday Recipe Blog Hop #87 @ Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms 
Skip To My Lou: Made by you Monday
Flour Me With Love: Mix it up Monday!

1 comment:

  1. French Toast is one of my favorite breakfast foods! It sounds like it would be amazing with the streusel topping!! Thanks so much for linking up to Mom's Test Meal Mondays!

    ReplyDelete

Followers