Search This Blog

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Cheesy Egg Casserole: Breakfast Is Served

Cheesy Egg Casserole: Breakfast Is Served



Hi everybody :)

Welcome to another Breakfast Is Served Sunday, if you're just tuning in to my blog every Sunday I post a Breakfast Is Served, today you're in for a treat. The last Breakfast Is Served is found here.

Today recipe is the results of experimenting with another recipe I found while browsing the web. I wanted to add more vegetables to the casserole and some meat too, so here's what I did....

Cheesy Egg Casserole adapted slightly here 
1/3 cup ground sausage; cooked and well drained or Canadian Bacon; sliced in quarter pieces ( I used Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage)
3 - 4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
Pinch salt (optional; if sausage is spicy, omit)
Pinch black pepper (optional; if sausage is spicy, omit)
1/4 cup fresh Spinach leaves, chopped
1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped (I used 2 mini peppers)
medium tomato, chopped
2 tablespoons  green onion,chopped
2 slices of bread, cubed (I used whole wheat bread)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used mild cheddar)
 
In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, sausage, sour cream, salt and pepper; stir in the spinach, bell pepper,  tomato, onion, bread cubes and cheese.
















Pour into a greased 2-cup baking dish.



















Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Yield: about 3 to 4 servings.





















 What I Think: 
I love the addition of sausage, more vegetables, plus the bread cubes to keep it from being too moist. I used Jimmy Deans Sage Sausage, because I thought it would be a great choice, and I was right.

The casserole had a nice savory taste and I LOVE the combination of the vegetables. But I think the next time I make this I 'll use shredded hash browns in the place of the bread cubes, but all in all this is a REPEAT.




















ENJOY! Come again....

 Linked to .Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms: Melt-In-Your-Mouth Monday Recipe Blog Hop #84 ,




Mixitup








Skip To My Lou

I Heart Nap Time









Addicted to Recipes Button, Page button

3 comments:

Followers