Search This Blog

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Cereal Cookie Bars: Rice Crispy Treat Upgraded

Cereal Cookie Bars: Rice Crispy Treat Upgraded

Hi everybody :)
I was looking for something in my cookbook collection, that I can make to satisfy my sweet tooth in a hurry. These bars 'jumped up' at me from the pages of my cookbook. They're quick, don't require much cooking time, and loaded with goodies of the sweetest kind; so bars, it is. Let's get it started...
Cereal Cookie Bars
9 cups crisp rice cereal
6-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup cornflakes (I used crushed graham crackers)
1 cup flaked coconut
2 packages (one 16 ounces, one 10-1/2 ounces) miniature marshmallows
1 cup butter, cubed
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup chocolate chips (
I used butterscotch chips)
1/2 cup raisins (I used white chocolate chips)
1/2 cup M&M's minis (I used regular)

In a large bowl, combine the cereal, oats, cornflakes and coconut; set aside.

In a large saucepan, cook and stir the marshmallows and butter over low heat until melted and smooth. Stir in honey. Pour over cereal mixture; stir until coated. Cool for 5 minutes.
Stir in chocolate chips, raisins and baking bits. Press into two greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pans. 
 Cool for 30 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 dozen.
 Source:  Taste of Home 2008 Quick Cooking Annual Recipes or here.
 What I did and/or Think:
I divided the recipe in half and used a 13-in.x9-in. pan for thicker bars, otherwise the bars will be very thin. The other changes I made are in Bold, Italic, and Purple.
The Taste: I love the combinations of flavors. Great REPEAT. It's like a rice crispy treat upgraded to the next level. I think next time I will do a fruits and nuts combination.
ENJOY! Come again... 
Linked to:
Strut Your Stuff Saturday @ Six Sister's Stuff
Show and Tell Saturday: Be Different...Act Normal    

Sweet Saturday Link Party: The Gingerbread Blog 
Finding the Delicious & Pretty Linky Party
Scrumptious Sunday Recipe Link Party  @ Addicted Recipes

Marvelous Mondays @ This Gal Cooks 
Melt In Your Mouth Monday @ Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms
Flour Me With Love: Mix it up Monday! 

The Chicken Chick: Clever Chicks Blog Hop 
Watch Out Martha   
Tried and  True Recipe Party 3  
 The Country Cook:: Weekend Potluck

1 comment:

  1. I am going to add this to the list of things that I need to make :) I think that I have most of the things that I need in the house!!! I have never seen anything like this before so I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Followers