Search This Blog

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Apple Toffee-Banana Rum Bread: Breakfast Is Served

Apple Toffee-Banana Rum Bread: Breakfast Is Served


Hi everybody :)

Welcome to another Breakfast Is Served Sunday, last Sunday I didn't post one. If you're just tuning in to my blog every Sunday I post a Breakfast Is Served, today you're in for a treat. The last Breakfast Is Served is found here.

Today recipe comes from my collection of mini cookbooks, I occasional picked up while standing in the checkout line at the store, right next to the CANDY BARS. I think they cleverly put them there for people like me :) It's all part of a conspiracy people, to get us to spend more money, and I fall for it every time.... hook, line, and sinker :) oh well...

While looking through one of the mini book, I saw this interesting banana bread recipe. I knew I had to give it a try, so here we go...

Apple Toffee-Banana Rum Bread
















Makes 2 loaves

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3 2/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons rum or 2 teaspoons rum extract
1 egg
1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 3 medium bananas)( I used two bananas and 2 small Granny Smith apples; peeled and diced; 1 cup)
3/4 cup apple,  peeled, cored and diced
1 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
1 1/3 cups (8-oz. pkg.) HEATH BITS 'O BRICKLE Toffee Bits, divided (I only used 1 cup)

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch loaf pans.

Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
Dry Mixture


















Add milk, oil, rum, egg and banana; stir with spoon until well blended.
Wet Mixture


















Stir in nuts. Spread 1 1/4 cups batter in bottom of each prepared pan. Top each batter with 1/2 cup toffee bits.
Batter with Toffee

















Uncooked


















Gently spread about 1 cup remaining batter into each pan. Sprinkle remaining bits over batter.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. (Bread will sink slightly in center.) Remove from oven to wire rack. With knife, loosen bread from sides of pan. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely.

Source: HERSHEY'S Holiday Favorites 2005 Edition
Cooked


















What I Did and/or Think:
The recipe didn't call for apple, but I thought it would be a nice addition, and it was, but I'm sure it would still be great without it. I bake this in a heart-shaped 10 cups bundt pan at 350 degrees for 50 minutes, instead of 2 loaf pans. I made a cream cheese glaze to drizzle on top.

Now for the taste, it was GREAT! I made this last night before I went to bed so the flavors can mellow overnight. It did just that! Banana bread is always better the next day; in fact the longer it sit the better it gets. This recipe is most definitely going in my REPEAT FILE!

For the Cream Cheese Glaze:
2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon milk
1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
Whisk all together and add 1 teaspoon vanilla, if you like,  drizzle over bread.



















































ENJOY! Come again.....

Linked  to:

Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms: Melt-in-Your-Mouth Monday Recipe Blog Hop # 82
Jam Hands: Recipe Sharing Monday #27  
BYOB @ girlichef: BYOB - Bake Your Own Bread
Flour Me With Love: Mix it up Monday!
Jaime @ Mom's Test Kitchen
Sundae Scoop @ I Heart Naptime   
Scrumptious Sunday Recipe Link Party @ AddictedRecipes
This Week Cravings: Mom's Crazy Cooking 
Must Try Mondays: My Favorite Finds
Nifty Thrifty Sunday 
Everyday Moms Meals
Sundae Scoop @ I Heart Naptime  
Scrumptious Sunday Recipe Link Party @ AddictedRecipes 
Think Pink Sunday @ Flamingo Toes Get Your Party On

3 comments:

  1. This looks really yummy! So great for fall. Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Love seeing new faces. Have a blessed week & come back soon ~EMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! I can't wait to try this, what a wonderful fall recipe. Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious combination and so perfect for Fall!! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Followers